Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Skillet Meatloaf

Ok, we all live and learn right?  Tonight was the first night I had a recipe not go as I had planned.  The good news is, it's a simple fix that I get to share with you, so you don't have to go through the same "ACK!" moment that I did....you're welcome :-)  Without further adeux, I give you....

Skillet Meatloaf
2oz reduced fat (or fat-free) shredded cheddar cheese (I bought a block and shredded my own)
1 medium sweet potato peeled & shredded
1 small onion chopped
1C reduced sodium tomato sauce
2lbs extra lean ground beef or 99% FF ground turkey
1/2C egg substitute
salt & pepper & all your other favorite "go to " seasonings (I prefer onion powder, garlic powder and a generic no-salt "table blend" seasoning)

Mix together meat, shredded potato, onion, 1/2C tomato sauce, 1/2C egg substitute, and seasonings.
Pat down into a 10inch skillet (that has a lid)
Cook on medium heat for 35 min. or until meat thermometer reads 170* (well done)
Remove lid and add shredded cheese.  Let cook another 5 minutes to melt cheese.
***Before serving: DRAIN fat from skillet!!  If you are able to remove meatloaf from skillet do so, and serve on a platter, cut into 8 servings and enjoy!  I paired this with a mashed sweet potato (a nice alternative to regular mashed potatoes.)

1 comment:

Shelle said...

I tried this last night, very nice! Thank you. :-)