Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Flank Steak Pinwheels and Cauliflower "pops"

No no, it's not what you're thinking.  I didn't have cauliflower lolly-pops, or Popsicle, or anything of the equivalent.  It's roasted cauliflower, and you roast it to the point it gets crispy, and brown. And THEN!! you season it with salt and pepper...and it's the most amazing thing.  I nearly ate half the batch waiting on my pinwheels to cook...I'm not lying.
The steak pinwheels are absolutely wonderful.  I prefer my steak medium, hence why you can still see pink.  I recommend cooking for longer than my recommended time in the event you do not like your steak cooked to this level of done-ness.
Enjoy, this meal is hard to not just wolf down.  I had to pace myself....now I want more...

Flank Steak Pinwheels
1.5lbs lean flank steak - pound out to 3/8" thickness....the thinner the better here actually.  Beat that puppy as thin as you can. I failed on getting this as thin as I wanted. I'll be better prepared next time.
5oz frozen chopped spinach - thawed, drained.
1/4C fat free sour cream
1/4C reduced fat Parmesan cheese

After thinning out steak, mix together remaining 3 ingredients.  (I added onion powder and dried chopped onion) spread on steak.  Roll steak up, and secure with toothpicks.
Broil for 10 minutes on each side. (My broiler was set to 500* because I'm a weenie and afraid of setting my oven on fire...but this explains why it was on the broiler so long)

Cut into 8 servings.  ENJOY!

Cauliflower Pops
I totally snagged this recipe on Pinterest from: DelightedMama  Her instructions are impeccable - and the recipe itself is such a super low-carb alternative, and a GREAT way to sneak in servings of veggies on unsuspecting kiddos!! They do bear a strong resemblance to the taste of french fries (yes, I ate mine with ketcup.)

This was probably one of my favorite meals by far - and not to mention - since Jan. 1st, I have now lost 15lbs!!  YAY!  Healthy eating is the bomb!

1 comment:

Pearhug Studio said...

These are in the oven now! We are also cooking some cheaper cuts of steak and will have canned green beans at the beach house...fresh beans would be ideal, but oh well! Can't wait to see how these turn out!