Friday, February 03, 2012

Chinese Chicken Salad

This salad was AWESOME!  It is sweet, it's tangy, it's spicy - it's an awesome combo and SUPER low calorie thanks to no oil in the dressing - I can't recommend this salad enough.  It's really filling too - but I had two bowls because it was SO SO good!

Speaking of awesome food - I have managed to cook a new meal nearly every night this entire year so far (spare the nights I was out of town.)  It has been an incredible experience so far, and I have managed to lose over 11lbs in the past 5 weeks!!  Eating healthy has been one of the best decisions we have made, and I don't see us ever looking back.  As long as I have cookbooks, and as long as I find meals we haven't cooked before - I will keep on cookin'!

Chinese Chicken Salad
Marinade
3 cloves of minced garlic
3 TBSP reduced sodium soy sauce 
2 TBSP honey
1TBSP fresh ginger, grated
1/2 tsp or less of dried red pepper flakes (+/- depending on how spicy you like your meal.  We added 1tsp and it was quite spicy)
2lbs boneless skinless chicken breast (you could probably lower this amt, it seemed to have a lot of chicken in it)
Combine all ingredients.  Place chicken breasts in crock pot and cover with marinade.  Cook on high for 3-4 hrs, or low for 6hrs (or as always, until internal temp. indicates it's "done")
Dressing
1/2C Rice wine vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced
1tsp fresh ginger, grated
1TBSP honey
Combine all ingredients and set aside or chill.  You will use this right before serving.
Salad
 I used one large bag of "hearts of romaine"
2 carrots julienned
1/4C cilantro, chopped
Can of "La Choy" brand rice noodles

Once chicken is cooked and "done"- remove from marinade and either shred or cut into bite sized pieces.
Add chicken, cilantro, carrots, and rice noodles to lettuce in large bowl, mix together.  Drizzle dressing over top of salad right before serving.
Next time I get around to making this, I'll add some mandarin oranges, drained for an added oomph of flavor!
prep time: 10 minutes
cook time: 4 hours, but it's crock pot, so it's not like you're really "cooking:"


No comments: