Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Oven "Fried" Chicken

This is Weight Watchers week in my house (I'm currently on Weight Watchers, and thanks to my bestie at 365 Opportunities A Year - I got a brand new WW cookbook with the new point values! YAY! (she's obviously a super friend.)  Anyways, I decided to indulge myself, without all the fat and calories!  We made oven "fried" chicken, and let me tell you: if you are craving fatty, fried, delicious fried chicken...make this.  You won't be sorry, it will saturate that craving with it's crunchy delicious goodness and you'll feel like you polished off some KFC, and you won't regret it in the morning :-)

If you are on Weight Watchers and you'd like to try out this awesome cookbook - you can buy it here: Weight Watchers New Complete Cookbook on Amazon.com


Oven "Fried" Chicken
2lbs chicken pieces (I used 2 breasts cut in half (4 pieces total), 3 thighs, 2 legs (REMOVE SKIN!!)
1/2 C Fat Free buttermilk (or make your own with 1/2C fat free milk and 1 TBSP white vinegar)
1/2C crushed corn flakes
3 TBSP all-purpose flour
salt, pepper, garlic, paprika to taste
2 TBSP canola or olive oil

Pre-heat oven to 400* Pour buttermilk in  small bowl.  Mix dry ingredients together and lay out on wax paper or large cutting board or plate.  Dunk chicken pieces in buttermilk, dredge through cornflake mixture.  Place on cookie sheet sprayed with cooking spray.  Drizzle with oil.
Cook for 30 minutes, turn chicken.  Cook for an additional 5-10 minutes or when juices run clear when chicken is cut.

Enjoy your heart out.  I added some more paprika because it seems like it's just such a wonderful staple to the dish.  I served this with french cut green beans with diced onion and about 1oz diced ham.  Uhhhhhhhhhh-mazing!  Enjoy y'all!
Weight Watchers Point Value per piece of "fried" chicken is : 5 points

No comments: